Visit Our Log Cabin
The original Das Peach Haus
About Fischer and Wieser's Log Cabin
History of the original Fredericksburg fruit stand
Originally built in 1870, our first permanent roadside fruit stand structure is promentially displayed next to our historic Das Peach Haus.
Our 1870 log cabin originally belonged to the Koenig family and was located on their homestead near the Pedernales River. In 1969, Mark Wieser heard the owners were planning to tear it down and dispose of the wood and rock. In fact, demolition was already in progress when he made it out to the site. The two parties settled on $150 for the cabin, with another $10 for the necessary rocks, and Mark would number, dismantle and move the structure. Mark raced home to share the good news with his mother, whose comment has a beloved place in Fischer & Wieser history. “You,” she assured Mark, “just threw away $150.” Not to be deterred, Mark painstakingly rebuilt the log cabin, and it became the original Das Peach Haus – the first permanent roadside fruit stand in Gillespie County. Since then, it has served many purposes including the first Fischer & Wieser jelly kitchen!